We recognise that children sometimes move to another early years setting before they go on to school although many will leave our setting to enter a nursery or reception class.
We prepare children for these transitions and involve parents and the receiving setting in this process. We prepare records about a child’s development and learning in the EYFS in our setting; in order to enable smooth transitions we share appropriate information with the receiving setting or school at transfer.
Confidential records are shared where there have been child protection concerns according to the process required by our Local Safeguarding Children Board.
The procedure guides this process and determines what information we can and cannot share with a receiving school or setting.
Transfer of development records for a child moving to another early years setting or school
- Using the EYFS assessment of development and learning ensure the key person prepares a summary of achievements in the six areas of learning.
- This record refers to any additional language spoken by the child and his or her progress in both languages.
- The record also refers to any additional needs that have been indentified or addressed by the setting.
- The record also refers to any special needs or disability and whether a CAF was raised in respect of special needs or disability, whether there is a Statement of Special Educational Needs and gives the name of the lead professional.
- The record contains a summary by the key person and a summary of the parent’s view of the child.
- The document may be accompanied by other evidence such as photos or drawings that the child has made.
- For transfer to school we use the Orbit summative assessment document.
- If there have been any welfare or protection concerns a dot is placed on the front of the assessment record.
Transfer of confidential information
- The receiving school or setting will need to have a record of concerns that were raised in the setting and what was done about them.
- A summary of the concerns will be made to send to the receiving setting or school along with the date of the last professional meeting or case conference.
- Where a CAF has been raised in respect of any welfare concerns the name and contact details of the lead professional will be passed on to the receiving setting or school.
- Where there has been a s47 investigation regarding a child protection concern the name and contact details of the child’s social worker will be passed on to the receiving setting or school – regardless of the outcome of the investigation.
- This information is posted or taken to the school or setting, addressed to the setting or school’s designated person for child protection and marked confidential.